Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ups and Downs

Now isn't *that* funny? Ups and downs - get it? I bet that anyone who has been dedicated to serious weight loss for more than a year gets that one.

It's August, 2009, and I have finally wandered back to my little forgotten blog. I am at 200 pounds now, and I am hoping that I don't go any higher. I joined a gym with the family right before Christmas last year in an effort to fight off moderate depression (another funny, and I'll explain that one in a minute, too).

We were dedicated - four or five days a week, three days some weeks when we had a lot going on - for at least an hour and a half. Some weights combined with an hour on the treadmill. I made my goal in calories instead of distance, working all the way up to a goal of 800 calories per session according to the machine I always used. Over the course of five months, I lost a grand total of (get this - it's the funny part) FIVE POUNDS.

Did I mention anywhere that I've had a gastric bypass, so it's not like I can pig out or anything? LOL.

I did feel better, and I would still be going except that my gym was moved and completely remodeled at the end of May or so, and now, since it has no dressing room, no fans, and fewer nachines, we just don't go. It sucks to go to the gym for three hours and spend half of that waiting in line for a squeaky treadmill.

There are two other gyms in town: one is painted dark gray and red with minimal lighting (????????) and the other is National Fitness - which we just can't afford.I've gained a grand total of two pounds of it back. I know that I am going to have to look at it from the "Wow, but I was so fit!" point of view rather than the "I worked how hard for how long to lose how much??" or I'll never join another one.

Right now, I am on the gall-bladder-weight-loss-plan. For those of you have never had the good fortune to try this effortless approach to weightloss, all you have to do is cultivate a couple of gall-stones, and then not only can you eat very little of anything, a portion of what you DO eat just makes its reappearance within about twenty minutes. I've heard that it's very common for people to develop gallstones after a bypass - so common that many surgeons just take out the gall bladder when they perform an RNY. Not my doc! Maybe he hopes that we'll come back so he leaves it for job security, or maybe he just doesn't see having another surgery as a big deal. For me, though, it is, and I am astounded at how my apparently poor choice of a surgeon is the gift that just keeps on giving.

As far as the depression goes, it seems to be over. I feel like a normal person now, and the best part is that sometime over the summer, cigarrettes stopped bothering me like they did. They don't set off my I-wanna-SMOKE reflex any more. They just STINK, and it's wonderful. All those years I smoked and had no idea that they smelled like something that blew out of the devil's ass. Ha.

I haven't read my old posts, so I don't know how much I have mentioned fertility issues - or even if I have at all. A little over a year ago, at age 38, I started seeing a fertility doctor in Johnson City for IUI. It took about three cycles to realize just what a total quack he was, and we moved across the street to see another one. I've had a total of six or seven rounds of IUI, one chemical pregnancy, and spent a small fortune. Husband and I figure we are good for about two or three more runs at it before we count the blessings that we have and move on. Finally, for the first time in YEARS, I can feel at peace with that idea, too. We still want another child, but at least now I can look at other people's babies and not cry.

I think that this year is going to be a good school year, especially compared to last year (a total CF). Half the people on our team were new last year, and out of those, most of them have already gone into something else for a living as they realized how unsuitable (or unemployable) they were for education. One is now on disability, one is working the desk at a local tourist trap for minimum wage... Another is still with us, but at least that one is now located right beside someone else - who happens to report straight to Central Office. I suspect that person's days of ignoring the children to chat with an S.O. is over. I just don't think that person's lack of activity is going to be a problem anymore. YAY!

Some people look at teaching as a job, and for others, it's personal.

I have lesson plans to do and groceries to get, so I am going to blow right on out of here and into the Sunday sales papers for some serious stick-it-to-Walmart ad-matching.

Catch you later!




PS - I thought that I'd take a look at my weight loss tracker, and look - I weigh exactly the same thing that I did in '07 on my first post. That goal weight is looking farther and farther away. How ironic.

No comments: